La Curieuse - Part 19 - Epilogue
Although the model sails well under sail the auxiliary motor has proved to be ineffectual. I did replace the original MFA 280 with a 385, but there wasn't much improvement probably because the RX battery of 4.8v was inadequate. So, I spoke with Component Shop and they again made up some bespoke 7.2v batteries to specification. These are shown on the picture.
The top right are the 4.8v originals split to go either side of the mainmast.
Top left are the six split pyramids producing 7.2v. Boy do they spin the prop! Soon after switching on I leveled off at 3.500ft and eventually landed at Stableford Abbotts air field. (joke)
Seriously the higher voltage does produce a lot more power from the motor.
The pic also shows the new batteries + a new micro Viper esc which has BEC for the rx. The previous Action esc was made by the original owner of action prior to BEC who sadly died and the business sold.
Looking at the battery loom you will see a battery charging jack. Once all joined up I don't like un clipping the plugs.
On the Esc loom is a switch to isolate the battery completely. I never rely solely on the BEC switch.
Now all I've got to do is to reinstall the gubbins back into the model although separately they do all go in. Some of the installation I always do on a small model as it is easier.